Thursday, December 1, 2011

Go Blow Yourself, Wind!



In case you haven't heard the news today, 350,000 people in Los Angeles County lost power due to epic winds. Nick's and my apartment in Los Feliz lost power around 11pm Wednesday night, and my mother's Pasadena apartment window was blown in and shattered all over the place. She, however, still has power-- so we're camping out at her place tonight. Though from the fallen foliage up an down her street, it's surprising how well she's fared.




I had no idea just how dependent I was on electricity until I lost it. (I know, same old story.) I was in the midst of reading House of Leaves (NOT a good book to lose power in your creepy old apartment while reading) when the power went, and reading by candlelight -- even if the candles are scented to smell like sunshine-- is a pain in the ass. They do not convey nearly enough light. And Nick wouldn't let me use his flashlight to read with due to fears about "conserving batteries."

We watched the Simpsons on DVD for as long as Nick's laptop battery would last, and then we were just forced to, I don't know, sit and talk to each other and then go to bed. While it was great for intimacy, it sucked for seeing.

Plus, by 11am the next morning, all our frozen food had spoiled. By 4pm, the non-frozen foods had perished. There should be insurance for food lost due to power outages. And now LA DWP informs us we have another 24 to 48 hours back until we have working appliances again.

This is NOT the East Coast. We are not used to our weather disasters here. Nobody knows what to do.

Anyway, there's no real point to this post other than I lost power and all I got was this lousy stress-headache.

1 comment: